Wednesday, February 14, 2007

when it's good, it's really good. And when it's bad, it sucks!


Really good customer service is hard to define. Is it just doing a job well? Is it the friendliness with which it's delivered? When is friendly too friendly? (The "beverage consultant" who comes to your table to serve you water, and keeps refilling your glasses every 30 seconds, interrupting your conversation...)

But bad customer service -- well, you know it when you get it!

Last Sunday I stopped in Central Baking Company (Multnomah Village). I waited (and waited) behind the counter--I was the only customer--for someone to help me. No problem, I wasn't in a rush. A woman came over. No smile. Yes, what did I want? A few pastries and a loaf of sourdough, please. It was only my second time in the store, so I asked which bread has the most sourdough; I like my bread sour. She shrugged, turned away and looked out the window. Bored voice, well, we've got the rye, it's got some sourdough and....meanwhile, what gives? I mean, I'm probably going to spend $10 or so, don't I get a smile, too? Or at least someone who acts as if she works for a store/company/manager who is grateful for the customers! There are LOTS of places to buy bread in Portland, after all.

Maybe she's having a bad day, I think. But, no, she doesn't seem harried, upset, frazzled or distressed, just....indifferent. I collect my things, leave and decide not to go back ever again.

I probably sound picky-picky, but it irks me to give my money to a business that thinks they're doing ME a favor...and that happens a lot more than you would think.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,
I just noticed that you posted a comment on my blog. Thanks! I always like to make new friends. I give you credit for homeschooling your kids for so long. We are just in our first year.
We are involved in a business, and customer service is soooo important. It really bothers me to go into a store, and meet with an employee who is indifferent or rude. Hope you get someone in a better mood next time.

Sarah Lincoln said...

Yea, I know what you mean! But one rude employee means the owner/manager isn't sending out the right message about how important customers are, don't you think? There's got to be some reason why certain businesses seem to always have friendly, upbeat salespeople...someone at the top is really setting the tone, I think.
What kind of business do you have?

Anonymous said...

I agree with you some what....a happy employee means that someone is treating them right...however....there are some people that are just miserable...if that's the case...they should have never been hired in the first place!!...which again, goes back to management. Anyway, we are in the pool and spa business..it's a lot of work in the summer, but fun too. We try our best to always be cheerful with the customers, it's a family business and we try to portray that. What do you do?